SSP YOUTH ATHLETICS
Our youth program is focused on teaching proper fundamentals and movement patterning. We design our classes with an emphasis on lifting technique, building power and strength, and improving speed and agility. These skills complement team or individual sport activities, assist in injury prevention, and, importantly, provide valuable life skills to foster a positive experience with strength training and exercise. Our programming is sport-agnostic. Our youth population includes a diverse group who play multiple sports, including soccer, lacrosse, football, basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, golf, tennis and many others. A typical class includes four main sections: 1) muscle activation and dynamic warm up to properly prepare the body for training, 2) power and agility, 3) resistance training with a focus on teaching correct movement patterns, and 4) conditioning.
We have two primary classes – Youth 1 (foundations) and Youth 2 (advanced). Both classes are coed with minimum recommended age of 10 to begin training. It is not a requirement that children play individual or team sports in order to attend. We will place your child in the best class based on their current age and abilities and progress them appropriately within classes.
Here’s how to get started:
- Register your child for an initial assessment here. We like to sit down with your child for 30 minutes to learn about them, their activity level, and take them through a movement assessment and dynamic warm up. From this assessment, we will recommend next steps for Youth 1 or Youth 2 classes.
- Post-assessment, you may register your child for our Youth Athletics Class Packs here
- Please indicate you are the guardian of the child and fill in the child’s first and last name as the member
- If you have more than one child, please only fill out one and contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org to set up the second child so that we may link the accounts together for you. Each child will need a separate account.
- Classes are currently $20 per class* (discounts available for current SSP members)
- Once registered, you will receive an email to set up an account and sign up for classes. Our current class schedule is Monday and Wednesday evenings at 4:30pm and 7:30pm. Classes will typically run 45-50 minutes including cool down and clean up.
We also offer personal training for youth and specific team programming for offseason or in-season. Please inquire for more information: email@example.com.
About Our Coaches
Jay De La Pena
Jay has worked in the health & fitness industry for over 16 years. His career began with a brief stint in the field of physical therapy which he then transitioned over to a career in personal training. Jay founded SSP in 2010 based in Seattle’s South Lake Union neighborhood and it has been a constant fixture since. He has a wife and three children, and when not at the gym, he is oftentimes at a wrestling meet or school function where he is the strength & conditioning coach for his oldest son’s school. Jay holds a degree in Exercise Science from Western Washington University and is a Certified Strength & Conditioning Coach through the National Strength & Conditioning Association as well as a Certified Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist.
Chris opened SSP-Queen Anne in 2020 following a corporate career in technology, where he spent close to a decade at Amazon. He joined SSP-SLU as a member in 2014 to begin taking control of his health, building strength and improving his health significantly as an active part of the SSP community. He has a wife and 6 year old daughter, and when he’s not at the gym, you can find him outdoors with his family or running Spartan Races. Chris is a Certified Personal Trainer and Fitness Nutrition Specialist through the National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM-CPT, FNS), a Precision Nutrition L1 Certified Coach (PN1), Spartan Race SGX Certified Coach, Girls Gone Strong Certified Pre & Postnatal Coach (GGS-CPPC), Functional Movement Systems L1 Certified (FMS-L1), Functional Range Conditioning Mobility Specialist (FRCms), and a BioForce Certified Conditioning Coach.
Natalie is SSP’s newest coach and Programming Assistant and is excited to be working with your kids in the Youth Athletics classes! She comes to us all the way from Greenville, South Carolina where she has been personal training and coaching for the last 3 years. Natalie was a softball and basketball athlete back in the glory days and always wishes she had learned how to strength train earlier. Natalie is a NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and has her Personal Training Certification through ACSM. She is also currently pursuing a master’s degree in applied Physiology and Kinesiology from the University of Florida.